I have always felt a connection to my ancestry (as lame as that sounds). History, especially of "my people" has always fascinated me, and truly been a point of interest in my life thus far. But, recently I realized I don't know that much. It is not that I don't listen when family stories are passed down, but it seems as though not many people talk about it. Just this evening at dinner my daddy was talking about his grandfather, my great grandfather. The stories were classic, like straight out of a novel or movie, and so epic and iconic to the culture of that particular history. It was incredible. Like an entire world was opened up to me that I never knew existed. Everyone always wants their family's story to be interesting, but it never is. Everyone wants to be the descendant of the brave Native American warrior who saved his nation, or have a great great grandmother who fell in love with a foreigner and although everyone warned against the stranger, she followed her heart and found true happiness, but that never happened. The most it ever was, was that someone immigrated and settled down, started a family, and the story is familiar from there.
Tonight though, this long time theory of coming from an ordinary family was disproved. My predecessors turned out to be interesting people with stories and passions of their own. My great grandfather along with many relatives led lives worthy of remembering. Of course the problem with this is that I want to take this project into my hands. I want to remember and record. Once my dad started telling the stories, I knew I wanted to write about these amazing people who created the family I know and love today. Thats just what I need, another project and another huge undertaking, but I am going to try to keep it manageable. I am going to try to write things down so that they are remembered. Seems doable, right?
Ask Nanna about your great grandmother's sister.
ReplyDeleteThis is a story worthy of a novel or play. What happened is of another time. Love A.E.
okay! i will
ReplyDeletethanks aunt elisa